Geminia Insurance Company Limited
Think Insurance...Think Geminia
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
- To provide effective management of legal risks arising from insurance claims and ensure the Company operates within the applicable legal and regulatory frameworks.
- To provide proper and proactive management of all legal claims to ensure prompt settlement at optimal cost to achieve high levels of customer satisfaction and cost-cutting for the Company.
KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Academic Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB)
- Either pursuing or has attained a Post Graduate Diploma (Dip KSL) from the Kenya School of Law
- Either duly admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, with a current Practicing Certificate or awaiting admission.
- Ability to quickly learn the operations of the insurance industry and its interface with the Insurance Regulatory Authority.
At least 6 months of practical work experience in either a law firm as a pupil or as an intern.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
- Good interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Good interaction and presentation skills
- Attention to detail.
- Team player
- Good negotiation skills
- High Integrity and honesty
PERSONAL BEHAVIOUR AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to adopt the Company’s culture of professionalism, integrity, and effectiveness.
- Ability to negotiate the best bargain for the Company.
- Ability to work under pressure while prioritizing tasks.
- Ability to work within deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Proactive in nature and results-oriented.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receiving summons to enter appearance /statutory notices /demand letters /other pleadings.
- Conducting an initial review of matters and preparing an opinion on whether to proceed to defend or negotiate out of court.
- Appointing Advocates to enter appearance and file defenses.
- Liaising with appointed Advocates for updates on matters they are handling and follow up on implementation of our instructions.
- Calling for documents, names of witnesses, and any other particulars from the insured and liaising with Advocates on signing of supporting affidavits.
- Reviewing Legal Opinions and instructing Advocates on the way forward, with the approval of the Legal Manager.
- Allocation and revision of reserves.
- Instructing any other service providers e.g., investigators and doctors, where necessary.
- Liaising with the Company’s advocates on routine correspondence.
- Reviewing investigation reports, to ensure that they are comprehensive enough to meet the need for which they were sought and recommending remedial action as necessary.
- Calling for verification of documents by Investigators.
- Attending court to give evidence.
- Monitoring and confirming that matters in court are proceeding expeditiously.
- Notifying insureds and witnesses of scheduled court hearing dates.
- Following up on witnesses to attend court and our advocates’ offices for pre-trial briefing and reviewing the adequacy of evidence.
- Liaising with Auctioneers on their fees and seeking indulgence where warrants of attachment are obtained.
- Re-negotiating judgment amounts with claimants’ advocates where necessary.
- Quantifying and negotiating amounts for out-of-court settlements.
- Processing payment requests and coordinating fee payments to advocates and other service providers.
- Reviewing and determining whether the outcome of court cases should be appealed or not.
- Ensuring that stay of execution orders are obtained pending appeal and where required, decretal sums or a portion thereof is deposited in a joint interest-bearing account in the names of both counsels.
- Maintaining a master diary and individual diaries of court cases and facilitating hearings of court cases to ensure timely conclusion.
- Processing payment requisitions for payment of judgment awards and following up on payments within the stay period.
- Conducting an annual review of files to confirm the adequacy of reserves.
- Requesting advocates for status reports on cases for review of performance.
- Conducting an annual review of advocates’ performance.
- Preparing performance reports for Departmental meetings.
- Assisting in recovery of the Company’s outlay from third parties.
- Liaising with the Company’s advocates for recovery of outlays.
Interested candidates are to share their application letter and CV to email@example.com by 30th November 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org